Friday, May 17, 2019

REFUNDS FOR UNPROCESSED WORK --- JUST ASK FOR IT

The McGill Law Firm is busy with calls, meetings, hearings, and trials.  When a client wants to go to another attorney because of delays, just say, I want a refund for my unprocessed work.  Some folks get so dramatic about a simple request.  Think of it as returning a blanket at Target.  The only difference is services already performed are taken out of the refund.   You really don't even have to tell me why you want a refund for your unused retainer.

I have about a 10% quit or fire rate (either I fire the client for many reasons or the client fires me because they can't wait).  Those slots are quickly filled (within the week) with other people who need legal advice and representation.   Most of those new clients have just received notice of a potential eviction.  Therefore, as much as I would love to have 100% completion rate, it's just not realistic.  Delays happen all the time, including having a 5 minute screening call turn into a 30 minute screening call; preventing an eviction with a trial in a week; a morning trial that turns into an all day affair; or a motion that takes much longer to complete. 

I get those same calls from people who are impatient with their current attorneys.  If you want to call me because your landlord-tenant attorney is moving too slowly, you may be calling the wrong attorney.  If you are impatient with an attorney with a paralegal and legal assistant because he's not getting to your case fast enough, you will be impatient with this solo attorney. 
 

No comments: