Monday, May 17, 2021

Semi-Retirement - I am moving away from demanding justice under the law and towards demanding justice under politics and policy

My firm demanded justice for individuals and small companies by taking small consumer cases that did not interest other lawyers.  A lawyer has to take a large numbers of small cases just to breakeven.  Nevertheless,  my case load doesn't make a dent in the problem.  For each client I take, many more want to hire me and many more cannot find another lawyer with the same price range and experience. Despite that, I did help over a thousand people per year by merely picking up the phone and providing 5-10 minute consultations.  However, now, bigger issues require bigger solutions.  

July 4th, I will turn away from the law and move toward politics and policy.  No, I will not run for office, because I just don't have the temperament or personality.  However, people can do so much without holding office, and I intend to do that in whatever capacity my personality and abilities allow.  

In the meantime, I will still accept calls from people who want to ask questions or want me to shoot off a letter or settle a case without going to court.  Although the everyday practice of the law no longer interests me, from time to time I will step into court until I get tired of spending my  money on bar dues and continuing legal education classes.   


No comments: